Framework Evaluation

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:32 PM
I like the framework that you guys generate. I am a little confused by your architectural decision to combine entities with data access code. I suppose you are assuming a more monolithic structure where the entities do not need to be sent down the wire to another machine? Maybe a webserver?

I like the simplicity of the framework you generate. I would probably use it more often if these layers were distinct.
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2008 at 6:06 PM
You're absolutely correct - and that's by design. The NuSoft Framework came from experiences at NuSoft Solutions, and whenever we seperated out the layers, it was just another layer you had to worry about - it didn't provide any value.

As far as sending them down the line, we haven't found the need to expose the entities directly via remoting, but we have done so with web services, and they work just fine - they're proxied over as just basic DTOs. If I ever wanted to do something over remoting, I would probably write my own DTOs anyway, because in all likelihood, my objects wouldn't be exactly what I want to send, so I would create DTOs that only contain what I want, or aggregate the information I want from a set of entities.

I understand the desire to have a seperate layer, but that's not where this framework is targetted. Thanks for the feedback though - we appreciate it.