Getting data from many tables

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:11 PM
Hi,

First of all: GREAT JOB, I think this framework can save hundreds of hours of work in many projects... so we will be able to spend more time in the beach :)

The question:
There are situations when a user wants to get data from many tables, for showing them in a datagrid in the UI, or to feed a report. How can I implement this situation using the Kinetic Framework?

As I've seen in the samples (extending the kinetic framework) returns always typed objects based on tables.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:41 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you are enjoying the framework.

While the examples are all based on direct tables, there is no reason that the entities have to be completely table-based. You can have your class inherit from EntityBaseReadOnly and put the necessary attributes on the properties (DatabaseColumn()] etc. and still use the framework's internals to populate the class. You'll also need to create the static get methods (and the underlying dynamic sql or stored procedures), but it will work.

I think that's a good place to start, but I will also work on putting together a sample that you can look at to see it in action.

Joel
Coordinator
Jan 23, 2009 at 4:31 AM
Here's a link to the sample I promised:

http://www.rosscode.com/blog/index.php?title=using_the_kinetic_framework_with_a_non_t&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Hope this helps,

Joel